Thursday, July 15, 2010

Houston - Beginning of Austin

Alright everyone, so I know I have been a huge slacker/procrastinator and that is ending NOW!! Well that's a lie, but basically I'm going to start catching you all up on everything since New Orleans. That was such a long time ago that it's going to take me a while but we're looking at baby steps here, people. Ok so this is the post that I wrote right when we got to Austin but never put up. Also, look for lots of pictures from Austin and the Southwest on my Facebook group page!

Enjoy!

Greetings from the Live Music Capital of the World!
So unfortunately it’s been raining I think since we left Tallahassee, which has definitely ruined our motivation for going outside or doing anything anywhere. We pulled into Houston around 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday (in the rain, of course) and didn’t leave Rice’s campus until we headed out for Austin on Friday around 3:30. This means that my impressions of Texas so far are based solely on one night out in Austin, all of the music we’ve been listening to on the Outlaw Country station, and things we drove past on the way to Austin. But today it’s actually sunny (for now at least) so I’m hoping we can get out and actually see some of the cities we’ve been staying in!

It was great to see Lauren in Houston, and we managed to be relatively comfortable when staying in her dorm because we basically requisitioned a common room and turned it into our room. Rive University apparently hates visitors and has not a single overnight visitor parking space on the entire campus, so we had to park on the street across from campus and wait in fear of being towed while Lauren was at work. Luckily the First Christian Church allows “operable vehicles only”… good thing my truck is operable I guess? At any rate, no towing occurred, we played some really fun beach volleyball in the rain with Teach For America Rio Grande Valley people and stopped by the campus bar for a few 95 cent beers. A nice evening considering everyone except us had to wake up at 5:30 a.m. the next day. Teachers, man.

So now we’re in Austin recovering from a crazy fun night last night! The girl we’re couch surfing with took us out for a night on the town near 6th Street and we had an absolute blast! We had one drink per bar in a bunch of different bars, and the night included an 80s dance party, dancing on this ridiculous floor that was clear so you could see the people below you, and – wait for it – checking off the only thing on my “make sure you do this on your trip” list… riding a mechanical bull!!!! I’ve been wanting to do it since I saw it in Cancun but couldn’t because I was wearing a dress (I’ve never been so mad at my classiness haha), and specifically wore shorts out last night so I would be prepared for any opportunity. It was so so SO fun and I stayed on for a long time!! So happy and excited, definitely a high point in our time since New Orleans.

All right well it’s sunny out now for the first time in a week, so I’m getting going to do something fun and outside! (Despite the fact it’s going to be hot and humid and miserable… but apparently you can’t have it all.) Next update will include the Willie Nelson 4th of July concert!!!!

Yours in Wandering,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment